2009 has been a year of change for YWAM Carlisle. After a decade leading the work, the centre pioneers, Richard and Miriam Lowe, handed the leadership over to Emma Wagner. It’s been a time of looking back and being reminded of what God has spoken to us as a centre, and looking forward to the future.
One of the words that has come back to us is from 2004, when God spoke to us about how He wanted to give us a house in the city centre. In September we were able to sign a rental agreement for a massive vicarage that is located two minutes off the high street! We will need to do a lot of work to it, but we are excited about seeing all this come into being and it becoming our main longer-term accommodation and hub.
The current DTS
Currently, our 2009 October Discipleship Training School (DTS) with ten trainees is preparing for outreach in South Africa, and will be heading out in the first week of January. God did a real “wake-up” job on this course: Dan, one of the DTS trainees from England, says:
“This DTS has been amazing; God has completely changed my life forever. I’ve never felt this close to God before. He’s demolished the lies I’ve believed. I feel free now.”
And Nathan from France says:
“This DTS has completely changed my view of who God is. I used to think He was authoritarian and strict, but I now have experienced that He is a loving Father. And I’m learning that the Holy Spirit wants my friendship so now I spend time with Him all the time: in the shower, when I cook, when I eat … I feel close to God. And I’m learning to deal with conflict with other people that are different from me. Community life has changed me a lot.”
We’re now praying for this DTS team as they prepare to go on outreach and we’re expecting God to do good things in them and through them. They will be ministering along the Garden Route along the south-eastern coast of South Africa.
As we look forward to 2010 there’s a lot of excitement in our hearts. YWAM Carlisle is celebrating ten years this year! (If you would like to be part of some of the celebrations please get in touch.)
In 2010 we are running our first January DTS ever! The team will go on outreach to South Africa after an action-packed lecture phase in Carlisle. We look forward to telling you the testimonies of what God will do through this DTS team.
We have also felt the Lord speak to us about running a School Of Evangelism (SOE) and are planning for one to start in May 2011. This will be the first SOE in England for a number of years. We believe God wants to use it to equip people to start new evangelism teams both here in Carlisle and all over England and Europe.
Please pray for:
- Wisdom and God’s clear guidance in the building project;
- God’s blessing on all aspects of the development of the vicarage — the provision of skilled people, funding, building consent, materials, etc (let us know if you’d like to help out!);
- The October DTS on outreach in South Africa. Pray for God’s power and for His Father heart to shine through the team as they seek to minister to the people there. Also, please pray for protection over the team;
- Our October and January Basic Leadership School teams. Pray for God’s wisdom and strength to be on them as they develop in leadership and seek to lead the DTS outreaches;
- The January DTS. Pray for God to break into the lives of the trainees and for them to step into the things God has called them to do;
- The new evangelism projects we want to start in the city;
- The plans for the May 2011 SOE. Pray for plans to go smoothly and for the right trainees and staff to be part of this course.